The Pledge to Protect Others during this Pandemic
Take the “Pledge to Protect Others”! On Sunday, May 17th, we initiated a new effort for our membership to undertake and share as a thoughtful, compassionate response for this next phase of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more here.
To learn more about or to take the pledge, click here.
Coronavirus Pandemic Response
During this time of crisis, we’ll share items for prayer, study and action on this page. Below in the “Prayer” section, we have commissioned a new prayer from one of our National Council members, Michelle Sherman, that folks throughout the Pax Christi USA community can use to reflect daily during this pandemic with the knowledge that we are speaking the same words and lifting our voices together as one.
- Click here to read our May 4th update.
- Click here to read our April 26th update on our office and work protocols during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Click here to read our latest update (March 24th) on our response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Click here to read the March 17th letter from Johnny Zokovitch, Executive Director of Pax Christi USA on our coronavirus response.
- Click here to read our work and office protocols for the national office.
- UPDATED VERSION! A prayer for peace and solidarity in a time of pandemic, a Pax Christi USA prayer in response to the coronavirus pandemic, by Michelle Sherman. We are encouraging our members and others to consider using this prayer daily during the crisis. This is one way of being in solidarity with others, reciting the same words and lifting our voices together.
- A special reflection/prayer service, for the coronavirus pandemic. Click here to download a PDF copy.
- Examen for life during COVID-19, by Susan Haarman
- Full text of Pope Francis’s Urbi et orbi message from March 27th.
- An Easter message, from Bishop John Stowe, OFM Conv., Bishop-President of Pax Christi USA
- Where do we go from here – an African American perspective, by Pearlette Springer, Pax Christi USA Anti-Racism Team
- Pandemic & privilege: U.S. policies and practices condemn our sisters and brothers to death, by Mary T. Yelenick, Pax Christi USA Anti-Racism Team member
- COVID-19: Toward authentic security rooted in nonviolence, by Marie Dennis, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace
- We must resist the ‘war’ on coronavirus, by Pierre Thompson, Pax Christi Northern California regional representative
- Lack of leadership means we must “speak truth to power”, by Joseph Nangle, ofm, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace
- The Great Reveal, by Tom Cordaro, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace
A sampling of actions Pax Christi USA has partnered on or encouraged our membership to undertake…
- Pax Christi USA joined other sections in Pax Christi International in sending a letter to President Trump, Sec. Mnuchin and Secretary Pompeo asking that sanctions against Iran, Syria and in Gaza be suspended or eased during the pandemic; click here to read the letter, share it in your communities and leave a comment with a link to it on the White House contact page.
- Stimulus actions should be for the people, not the Pentagon
- From the Asian American Christian Collaborative: Sign the Statement on Anti-Asian Racism in the Time of COVID-19!
- From ColorOfChange: Tell ventilator manufacturers to allow hospitals to fix broken ventilators!
- From MediaJustice: Demand prison phone justice in COVID-19 relief efforts!
- From MomsRising: Protect incarcerated loved ones from COVID-19!
- From Win Without War: We Demand a Global Ceasefire! Join the UN Secretary General in calling for the nations of the world to enact a global ceasefire. Click here to add your name.
- From Faith in Action: Demand equitable access to testing, treatment and financial support!
- Pax Christi USA joins partners in urging Biden, Trump to adopt a more principled foreign policy
ORGANIZATIONAL ACTIONS WE HAVE UNDERTAKEN
For a full list of organizational actions we have taken, click here.
- ‘People need to be supportive’: communities gather online in the coronavirus crisis, from The Guardian, hints for using social media, etc. for help during the crisis
- How to vote by mail during the coronavirus crisis, from the ACLU
To see additional archived resources for prayer, study and action from throughout the pandemic, click here.