On January 22, the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) enters into force following the earlier ratification of the treaty by 50 states. While the U.S. is not a signatory to the treaty, Pax Christi USA celebrates this monumental achievement and pledges to continue our work for nuclear disarmament, dreaming of the day that all nations — including the U.S. — abolish nuclear weapons once and for all.
- Pax Christi USA Statement on the entry into force of the TPNW
- Catholic Leaders’ statement from Pax Christi International
- Joint Interfaith Statement on the Entry into Force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
PSAs (i.e. Pray-Study-Act alerts)
- The TPNW enters into force, January 22
- Join Bishop Stowe for a special Mass co-sponsored by Pax Christi USA with the Catholic Committee on Appalachia at 6pm ET, January 22. Register at this link and join in other activities taking place leading up to the Mass.
- Prayer for Disarmament by Kim Vanderheiden, Pax Christi Northern California
- The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
- Read more on the treaty from ICAN
- Read about Pax Christi International’s advocacy on the TPNW
- The Papal Vision: Beyond the Bomb
- Pope Francis’s messages at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, November 2019
- Start a study group using Pax Christi USA Teacher of Peace Art Laffin’s new book, The Risk of the Cross: Living Gospel Nonviolence in the Nuclear Age
- Joint statement by the Catholic bishops of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on the entry into force of the TPNW
- Watch “The Real Cost of Nuclear Weapons” from Pax Christi International below…
ACTIONS AND EVENTS
- Share these social media graphics from Pax Christi International
- Resources for observing the TPNW’s entry into force, includes letters to the editor, legislative advocacy, social media graphics, etc.
- Use this banner to declare, “Nuclear Weapons Are Illegal”
For more resources on nuclear disarmament and abolition, check out our webpage on the 75th anniversaries of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, our special website set up for The Peace Ribbon project, and the webpage for our participation in the Back from the Brink campaign.