Racial justice has been a long-time priority for Pax Christi USA. We recognize that racial justice begins “at home”, and in 1999, Pax Christi USA began a 20-year initiative, “Brothers and Sisters All,” to transform Pax Christi USA into an anti-racist, multicultural Catholic peace and justice movement. It is our conviction that personal and systemic racism continues to perpetrate deep spiritual and social brokenness and endangers creation and we must work as individuals and a community for racial justice and racial equity.
Listed below are some of our current or recent efforts in promoting racial justice with accompanying resources:
- Birth of a Movement Study Circles
- Black History Month
- Black Lives Matter: Pray, Study, Act
- Brothers & Sisters All: An Anti-Racism Initiative
- The Color of Peace
Statements on Racial Justice
- 4/23/21 – Justice requires more: A Pax Christi USA statement following the verdict in the Chauvin trial
- 4/20/21 – Media statement on the verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd
- 3/17/21 – On the mass shooting in Atlanta
- 7/12/20 – White fragility cannot block the conversations we need to have on race in the Church
- 6/1/20 – Media statement: Focus on justice for George Floyd, not judging protesters
- 5/27/20 – Statement on the death of George Floyd and the racism that seeds terror, disfigures our humanity
- 6/27/18 – Response to the Supreme Court upholding the Muslim ban
- 4/12/18 – Housing discrimination persists leaving people of color “no room at the inn”
- 8/14/17 – On Charlottesville: Silence is the softer voice of racism
- 7/11/16 – On Racial Violence in the U.S.
- 6/23/15 – On the massacre in Charleston, S.C.
- 11/25/14 – Following the grand jury decision in the Michael Brown shooting
- 8/15/14 – On the killing of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, MO
- 7/23/13 – On the U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding the Voting Rights Act
- 9/1/05 – On the response to Hurricane Katrina
Click here for a library of anti-racism resources.
For additional resources, click here.