Nonviolence – the spirituality of nonviolence, the practice of nonviolence, nonviolence education, a nonviolent lifestyle – has been the central charism of Pax Christi USA since our founding in 1972.
In April 2023, Pope Francis dedicated his monthly prayer to nonviolence. Watch his video message here:
While nonviolence is a thread throughout everything we do, listed below are some of our current programs and projects aimed specifically at the promotion of nonviolence, with accompanying resources:
- The Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action
- Advancing Nonviolence Study Circles
- The Vow of Nonviolence
- Nonviolence training
- Conscientious objection
Other resources highlighting nonviolence:
- A Policymaker’s Tool for Effective, Nonviolent Strategies for Sustainable Peace, from Pax Christi International
- Choosing Peace: The Catholic Church Returns to Nonviolence, edited by Marie Dennis
- Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace in the Church and the world, edited by Rose Marie Berger, Ken Butigan, Judy Coode and Marie Dennis
- Our Spring 2015 newsletter and Fall 2013 newsletter focused on the spirituality of nonviolence and peacemaking.