Pax Christi USA is a partner in the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, a project of Pax Christi International, which affirms the vision and practice of active nonviolence at the heart of the Catholic Church, and is committed to the long-term vocation of healing and reconciling both people and the planet.
This bold effort was launched at the Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference held in Rome April 11-13, 2016 and co-sponsored by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace (now part of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development), Pax Christi International, and other international bodies. Lay people, theologians, members of religious congregations, priests and bishops from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Oceania gathered to call on the Catholic Church to take a clear stand for active nonviolence and against all forms of violence. In his message to the conference, Pope Francis said, “Your thoughts on revitalizing the tools of nonviolence, and of active nonviolence in particular, will be a needed and positive contribution.”
For further introduction of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative:
- Visit the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative Website by clicking here.
- Watch the webinar, “Introduction to the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative,” with Judy Coode, Project Coordinator. Click here for a link to the video recording.
New book from the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative!
Advancing Nonviolence & Just Peace in the Church & the World
Pax Christi International and its Catholic Nonviolence Initiative are pleased to announce the publication of Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace in the Church and the World, the culmination of a three-year global conversation among church leaders, community organizers, activists, social scientists and theologians about how the Catholic Church might return to its Gospel nonviolence roots and transform the world.
Pax Christi USA members can get a special 15% discount on the book when ordering through this link and using the special code, PCM15!
Two ways to study the book individually or in groups:
- Use this free downloadable study guide from the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative.
- Pax Christi USA conducted study circles on the book from February through April 2021. Find our five-part study guide, videos of our Zoom sessions with authors of the book and contributors to the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, and more archived for your use at this link.
Other resources from the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative:
- Nonviolence: Key to a Laudato Si’ future – webinar
- Four videos explain how nonviolence challenges injustice, can lead to social transformation, peace
Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action, September 21 to October 2
In solidarity with our 120+ sister organizations in the Pax Christi International network from around the world, Pax Christi USA with our regions, local groups, members and partners prays, studies, acts and celebrates the power of nonviolence each year between September 21st (International Day of Peace) and October 2nd (International Day of Nonviolence and Gandhi’s birthday).
Click here to find out more about plans for the 2021 Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action, with the theme, “Nonviolence as a way of life in the web of creation”.
2020 was the first year for the Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action. The theme was, “Making active nonviolence our way of life in the Church and the world”. Find out more about our observance of these days of action in 2020 at this link.