Pax Christi USA is a partner in the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, a project of Pax Christi International, which affirms the vision and practice of active nonviolence at the heart of the Catholic Church, and is committed to the long-term vocation of healing and reconciling both people and the planet.
This bold effort was launched at the Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference held in Rome April 11-13, 2016 and co-sponsored by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace (now part of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development), Pax Christi International, and other international bodies. Lay people, theologians, members of religious congregations, priests and bishops from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Oceania gathered to call on the Catholic Church to take a clear stand for active nonviolence and against all forms of violence. In his message to the conference, Pope Francis said, “Your thoughts on revitalizing the tools of nonviolence, and of active nonviolence in particular, will be a needed and positive contribution.”
Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action, September 21 to October 2
2020 is the first year for the Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action. The theme is, “Making active nonviolence our way of life in the Church and the world”.
In solidarity with our 120+ sister organizations in the Pax Christi International network from around the world, Pax Christi USA invites our regions, local groups, members and partners to pray, study, act and celebrate the power of nonviolence between September 21st (International Day of Peace) and October 2nd (International Day of Nonviolence and Gandhi’s birthday). These dates fall within with the Season of Creation, which extends from September 1st (Day of Prayer for Creation) and October 4th (Feast of St. Francis of Assisi.)
Ideas for observing the Catholic Nonviolence Days of Action:
- Take the Vow of Nonviolence, as an individual, with your family, as a local group, or within your parish community.
- Use this preparatory guide, “Making Active Nonviolence Our Way of Life in the Church and the World,” designed by Pax Christi members from 4 continents, to gauge our experiences in nonviolence and to help groups and communities map out their response to this invitation.
- Use this framework for additional prayer resources, examples of actions of public witness, ideas for multimedia projects, suggestions for creating a nonviolent parish, and opportunities to celebrate nonviolent heroes.
- Sign this appeal to Pope Francis thanking him for his leadership in stating that “nonviolence is the way forward”
- Join the project coordinator for the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, Judy Coode, for a webinar introducing the history and aims of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative on September 21st at 3pm EDT. To join via Zoom, log on at: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84698778185. Meeting ID: 846 9877 8185. One tap mobile: +13126266799,,84698778185# US (Chicago) or +19292056099,,84698778185# US (New York). Dial by your location: +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago), +1 929 205 6099 US (New York), +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston), +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) with Meeting ID: 846 9877 8185 or Find your local number at https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdHN7W8d.