To register, scroll down the page below the graphic…
Pax Christi USA is excited to announce our next offering in the “Love is Political: Literary Circles for Liberation” series! The next study circle will read, reflect and analyze the new book from Olga Segura, Birth of a Movement: Black Lives Matter and the Catholic Church. The new study circle will take place between May 24 and July 19, with Zoom gatherings every other Monday evening, 7-8:30pm ET, beginning May 24th.
See more information on registering as an individual or group for the study circles in the “Registration” section below.
The Birth of a Movement study circles are aimed at exploring the myriad ways that the Black Lives Matter movement and the teachings of the Catholic Church intersect and how, by embracing the values of BLM, Catholics can begin to embody the values at the heart of what Jesus preached and practiced and the Church is called to imitate. Author Olga Segura, in relating the story of the Black Lives Matter movement through a Christian lens, guides readers toward insights and a deeper understanding of the movement and why it can help the church, and the country, move closer to racial equality.
The book readings will be divided as such:
- Session 1: May 24th — Foreword, Acknowledgements, and Introduction (click here to watch the video)
- Session 2: June 7th — Chapters 1 and 2
- Session 3: June 21st — Chapters 3 and 4
- Session 4: July 5th — Chapters 5 and 6
- Session 5: July 19th — Chapters 7 and 8
Portions of the meetings will be recorded so that others who are not able to attend have the opportunity to watch them in a more convenient time. We will be using this working document to collectively take notes and gather additional resources. Everyone is welcome to contribute to it.
ORDERING THE BOOK
- Click here to order the book through the publisher, Orbis.
- The book is also available as a Kindle book here.
If you are interested in participating in the Birth of a Movement study circles, there are two primary avenues to register:
- If you would like to study the book with an already existing group, or form a group for study, you can register at this link. Pax Christi USA’s local groups, college and high school chapters, religious communities, parish groups and other grassroots groups are encouraged to take this option. Studying the book with your local Pax Christi USA community is an excellent way to deepen your communal commitment to racial justice and equity as well as strengthen the bonds of community. Click here to register your group. Groups can meet over Zoom or other video conferencing systems like Google Meet, etc., or, where possible, in person if it is safe and health safety protocols are in effect.
- If you do not have a group to study with, you can use this link to register as an individual. Beginning in late-May through the mid-July, Pax Christi USA will hold 5 sessions for all who are reading the book to join with others on a Zoom call and participate in discussions with people from around the country in break-out rooms. This will give all participants, whether in a group or not, an opportunity to participate in small group discussions with others reading the book and hear from guest speakers. Click here to register as an individual and please sign up below to get the zoom link.
SIGN-UP TO GET THE ZOOM LINK FOR THE BI-WEEKLY GATHERINGS
Every other week, beginning Monday, May 24th, and going through Monday, July 19th, all participants in the Birth of a Movement study circles will have the option to attend 5 Zoom gatherings exploring various themes of the book and which will include time for small group book discussion with other participants in the study circles. Zoom gatherings will take place at 7-8:30pm ET on May 24, June 7 and 21, July 5 and 19.
Click here to sign-up to attend the Zoom gatherings. You do not have to attend all of them. All Zoom gatherings will be recorded and posted for later viewing if you cannot attend.
NOTE: If you cannot make the Zoom gatherings at 7pm ET on Mondays, but would still like to partake in discussion with others reading the book from around the nation, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. If there is enough interest, we may add an additional time for small group discussion.
Watch previous Zoom sessions below…