>> For all those who participated in this training, find a follow up email here with a list of resources used in the training and other tools.
Pax Christi USA is excited to announce a new partnership with the Meta Peace Team designed to offer Pax Christi USA members (and friends!) nonviolence trainings twice each year specifically designed for our community.
The first training is scheduled for Saturday, May 1 from 11am to 3:30pm ET (which includes a 30 minute break for lunch). This virtual session will take place over Zoom and will focus on “Bystander Intervention Skills Training”.
We are suggesting a $35 donation to cover the costs of our trainers but no one will be turned away for inability to pay. Pax Christi USA will help to underwrite the costs for anyone who wants to participate but needs financial help.
As members of the Pax Christi USA community, we will begin to explore “Active Nonviolence” together:
- What does it mean, how is it used, and how can good-hearted, well-intentioned individuals radically disagree yet still live in community together?
- What is the difference between passivity and active nonviolence?
- What is empowered peacemaking?
Our emphasis in this training will be on BYSTANDER INTERVENTION:
- What can you do when you’re alone and see someone being harassed?
- What do you do when that “someone” is YOU?
- What did Jesus really mean when he said, “Turn the other cheek”?
Participants will discover how Jesus taught us to be creatively nonviolent (never a doormat). They will learn and gain practice in specific skills, techniques, and tools that are useful both in conflict intervention situations and in daily life. And they will leave knowing that this is not only an aspiration: It’s a tool that works to create the Beloved Community!
We are requesting that participants commit to arriving on time and staying through the completion of their training to help foster our growing sense of community.