On Tuesday, December 10, 2019, the County Council for Montgomery County, Maryland approved a Back from the Brink resolution, which was introduced by Councilmember Tom Hucker. In attendance for the vote were nine Pax Christi members from Montgomery County, MD and supporters from Maryland Peace Action and Sandy Spring Friends Meeting.
The group is pictured above with Councilmember Tom Hucker (back row, third from the left).
The resolution follows:
“The Montgomery County Council joins the U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) and the ‘Back From the Brink’ Campaign in calling on the Trump Administration and the U.S. Congress to exercise global leadership in preventing nuclear war by:
- Renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first;
- Taking U.S. nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert;
- Canceling the new plan to replace the entire U.S. nuclear arsenal with enhanced weapons;
- Supporting the U.S. entry into the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons; and
- Requiring the U.S. to pursue a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armedstates to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.”