NOTE: With the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, we have shifted our Lenten resources beginning with week 4 of Lent to respond specifically to this moment. You can find our full range of resources on our Coronavirus Response page by clicking here.
In the introduction to this year’s Lenten reflection booklet, Fasting Towards Freedom: Reflections for Lent 2020, Pax Christi USA Executive Director Johnny Zokovitch, writes:
“In the Gospels, Jesus doesn’t call us to believe in him, to like or love him, not even to worship him. For those who would be his disciples, Jesus’s call is to follow him. We are called to listen to him, to learn from his words and deeds, and to embody ourselves who it is that he is and to do what he has done. Who we are as Pax Christi USA always comes back to this most fundamental question: How are we witnessing to Jesus in the world today? How are we being the ‘peace of Christ’ in a world steeped in violence, fear, injustice and pain?”
We hope the resources below inspire and encourage you in your own journey of prayer, fasting and almsgiving this season, as we immerse ourselves in being the “Peace of Christ” in our world today.
REFLECTIONS FOR SUNDAYS AND HOLY DAYS
On this page throughout the season, we’ll be featuring reflections from a variety of authors of our current and past Lenten booklets. We’ll also be sending our weekly Lenten emails directly to your inbox if you’re subscribed to our free email service. (Click here to sign up if you are not already subscribed to our free email service.)
- Ash Wednesday, Feb. 26, by Sr. Rose Marie Tresp, RSM
- First Sunday of Lent, March 1, by Jim Forest
- Second Sunday of Lent, March 8, by Johnny Zokovitch
- Third Sunday of Lent, March 15, by Sr. Rose Marie Tresp, RSM
- Fourth Sunday of Lent, March 22, by Marie Dennis
- Fifth Sunday of Lent, March 29, by Cathy Crayton
- Palm/Passion Sunday, April 5, by Rev. Joseph Nangle, ofm
PRAY-STUDY-ACT EACH WEEK OF LENT
Each week, we’ll be crafting a special Pray-Study-Act e-bulletin (PSA) with resources for us all to use and to act on in common.
- First Week of Lent, March 1-7
- Second Week of Lent, March 8-14
- Third Week of Lent, March 15-21
- Fourth Week of Lent, March 22-28
- Fifth Week of Lent, March 29-April 4
- Holy Week, April 5-12
- Fasting Towards Freedom: Reflections for Lent 2020, available for immediate purchase and download for your e-reader
- A season Lenten reflection from Pax Christi Metro New York
- Litany for Peace: A prayer from Pax Christi USA to use daily throughout Lent (pdf)
- An Examination of Conscience (pdf)
- Lenten Reflection Guide 2020: A Journey Toward Ecological Conversion, from the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
SPECIAL EVENTS AND DAYS OF OBSERVANCE
Good Friday Observances
WE ARE NOT ENCOURAGING THESE EVENTS TO TAKE PLACE THIS YEAR DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND THE NEED FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING.
Traditionally, many Pax Christi USA local groups plan and stage a “Way of the Cross” event on Good Friday, connecting the sufferings of Christ during his passion with the suffering of our brothers and sisters at the hands of violence, greed, poverty, sickness and war. Below are resources for groups interested in undertaking a Way of the Cross in their community on Good Friday. Also please let us know if you have a Way of the Cross planned in your community. We will list below the names of groups, with contact information, which will be staging a Way of the Cross this year.