WE ARE NOT ENCOURAGING THESE EVENTS TO TAKE PLACE THIS YEAR DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND THE NEED FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING.
Traditionally, many Pax Christi USA local groups plan and stage a “Way of the Cross” event on Good Friday, connecting the sufferings of Christ during his passion with the suffering of our brothers and sisters at the hands of violence, greed, poverty, sickness and war. Below are resources for groups interested in undertaking a Way of the Cross in their community on Good Friday. Also please let us know if you have a Way of the Cross planned in your community. We will list below the names of groups, with contact information, which will be staging a Way of the Cross this year.
Good Friday Way of the Cross Resources
- PC-Metro New York has been doing a Way of the Cross for over 30 years. For information on how to do a Way of the Cross, contact PC-MNY’s Rosemarie Pace at firstname.lastname@example.org
- From the Gainesville Catholic Worker/Pax Christi-Gainesville, Way of the Cross template and sample script (MSWord, free download)
- An Earth Day Eco Stations of the Cross (MSWord, free download)
- The Stations of Justice (MSWord, free download)
Good Friday Way of the Cross Events and Other Observances, 2020
Send a brief description of your event to email@example.com and we’ll post it here.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- CANCELED – WASHINGTON, DC: Pax Christi USA is a co-sponsor of the Way of the Cross for Economic and Ecological Justice on Good Friday, April 10. We will start at 12pm at the National Archives (across from the Navy Memorial metro station, 700 Pennsylvania Ave., NW). The procession will take approximately two hours. More information here.
- SILVER SPRING: Stations of the Cross prayer for the victims and survivors of violence, greed and human trafficking sponsored MidAtlantic Coalition against Modern Slavery (MACAMS) on behalf of Sister Carol Ries, SNJM. Date is Monday, March 23, 2020 at 7:00pm at St. Camillus Church, 1600 St. Camillus Dr., Silver Spring, MD.
- NEW YORK CITY: Visit http://www.nypaxchristi.org/events for details.
- HARRISBURG: Pax Christi Harrisburg will hold its annual Way of the Cross on Good Friday, April 10 at 10 am. Participants should meet at Front & Market Sts. (Dauphin County Courthouse). Walk takes approximately 1 1/2 hours and connects Jesus’ journey to the Cross with current justice & peace issues. For more info, call 717-439-6896.
- CANCELED – NORFOLK: The Norfolk Catholic Worker is organizing a five day, 50 mile stations of the cross to mark 75 years since the advent of the nuclear age and the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. From April 5-10 participants will walk through 6 Hampton Roads cities stopping at military bases, shipyards, defense contractors, and financial institutions with ties to the nuclear war-fighting complex. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you will be coming from out of town for information on accommodations.