Announcing the authors for the 2014 Advent booklet! Click here!
This Advent, as we await the birth of the Peace of Christ, we remember that, in this wilderness, we are called to prepare the way…
“A voice proclaims: In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord!
Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God!
Every valley shall be lifted up, every mountain and hill made low;
The rugged land shall be a plain, the rough country, a broad valley.
Then the glory of God shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.” (Isaiah 2:4)
This passage from Isaiah appears the second week of Advent. In his reflection on this passage in this year’s Advent reflection booklet, Pax Christi USA Teacher of Peace Msgr. Ray East writes:
“We must fearlessly sing out the advent of our God. Our lyrics voice a dichotomy: our God comes with power but also appears as a gentle shepherd who feeds the flock. These tones of strength and compassion, power and salvation, are typical of Advent…”
We are the ones called to “fearlessly sing out” and to prepare the way this season. We hope that the resources for prayer, study and action below will help to deepen your witness to peace with justice, and the witness of your community, this Advent season and throughout Christmas.
- Pax Christi USA’s 2013 Advent Reflection Booklet, Unshakeable Belief: Advent 2013, by Darlene Pryds, Msgr. Ray East, Kimberly Mazyck, and Dr. Alex Mikulich
- Other sales resources for Advent and Christmas from Pax Christi USA
- Two resources from former National Council member Rev. Jim Hug, S.J. – 1) An Untraditional Advent Meditation and 2) Cosmic Advent Creed
- Pax Christi Metro New York’s Anti-war Toys Campaign: A leaflet on why not to buy war toys, Christian version, in MSWord and PDF; the same leaflet, non-religious version, in MSWord and PDF; a letter to the editor, Christian version in MSWord and non-religious version in MSWord
- Light Up Your Advent: Resources from US Catholic
- Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case for a More Joyful Christmas, by Bill McKibben
- Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season, by Jean C. Staeheli
REFLECTIONS FOR SUNDAYS AND HOLY DAYS
Below you’ll find reflections from over the years from a variety of authors of Pax Christi USA Advent reflection booklets. We will try and post reflections for upcoming Sundays on the preceding Tuesday, as well as Holy Days and other days of observance throughout Advent and Christmas.
- First Sunday of Advent, December 1, 2013, by Darlene Pryds
- Second Sunday of Advent, December 8, 2013, by Mary Jo Leddy
- The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, December 9, 2013, by Msgr. Ray East
- Human Rights Day, Second Tuesday of Advent, December 10, 2013, by Rev. John Dear, S.J.
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12, 2013, by Sr. Dianna Ortiz, OSU
- Third Sunday of Advent, December 15, 2013, by Kim Mazyck
- Fourth Sunday of Advent, December 22, 2013, by Jim Douglass
- Christmas Eve, December 24, 2013, by Alex Mikulich
- A Special Christmas Card from Pax Christi USA, with a reflection for Christmas Day, December 25, 2013, by Judy Coode
- Feast of the Holy Innocents, December 28, 2013, by Rose Marie Berger
- Feast of the Holy Family, December 29, 2013, by Megan McKenna
- World Day of Peace; Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God; New Year’s Day, January 1, 2014, by Jamie Phelps, OP, Ph.D.
- Feast of the Epiphany, January 5, 2013, by Nancy Small
PRAY-STUDY-ACT DURING ADVENT
- PSA e-bulletin for First Week of Advent, Dec. 1-7, 2013
- PSA e-bulletin for Second Week of Advent, Dec. 8-14, 2013
- PSA e-bulletin for Third Week of Advent, Dec. 15-21, 2013
- PSA e-bulletin for Fourth Week of Advent/Beginning of Christmas, Dec. 22-28, 2013
- PSA e-bulletin for New Year’s week, Dec. 29, 2013, the Feast of the Holy Family through Jan. 5, 2014, Epiphany Sunday
- Scroll through the archives to see past Advent PSA’s…