Merry Christmas from Pax Christi USA!
In the introduction to this year’s Advent reflection booklet, I Say to You, WATCH! Reflections for Advent & Christmas 2020, Pax Christi USA Executive Director Johnny Zokovitch, writes:
“This past year has left many of us wrung out, beaten down, exhausted — and yet Mark cries out to us on the first Sunday of Advent: “Be alert! Watch!” Our eyes may be heavy, our hearts weary, our spirits frayed, and yet Mark implores us not to be caught sleeping… A tall task indeed as the days grow shorter, the darkness comes earlier, and winter sets in…”
We hope the resources below draw you deeper into the mystery of this season as we continue to find ways to be the “Peace of Christ” in our world today.
REFLECTIONS FOR SUNDAYS AND HOLY DAYS
Below you’ll find reflections selected from this year’s Advent-Christmas reflection booklet as well as others from a variety of authors of past reflection booklets. Reflections for each upcoming Sunday will be posted typically on the preceding Tuesday, with Holy Days and other days of observance throughout Advent and Christmas posted regularly as well. We’ll also be sending our weekly Advent emails directly to your inbox if you’re subscribed to our free email service. (Click here to sign up if you are not already subscribed to our free email service.)
- First Sunday of Advent, November 29, by Martha Hennessy
- World AIDS Day, First Tuesday of Advent, December 1, by Vickie Machado
- Second Sunday of Advent, December 6, by Shannen Dee Williams, Ph.D.
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, 2nd Tuesday of Advent, December 8, by Sr. Anne-Louise Nadeau, SNDdeN
- International Human Rights Day, December 10, by Amy Finn-Schultz
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12, by Dr. Arturo Chávez
- Third Sunday of Advent, December 13, by Ched Myers
- Fourth Sunday of Advent, December 20, by Donna Grimes
- Christmas Eve, December 24, by Michelle Sherman
- Christmas, December 25, by Mary Lou Kownacki, OSB
- Feast of the Holy Family, December 27, by Janice and Gerry Vanderhaar
- Feast of the Holy Innocents, December 28, by Cathy Woodson
- New Year’s Day, the World Day of Peace, the Solemnity of Mary, January 1, by Isaac Chandler
- Epiphany Sunday, January 3, by Sr. Jamie T. Phelps, OP, Ph.D.
- Advent, Christmas & Epiphany Prayers and Rituals for Families, Small Groups, includes Advent wreath rituals, Christmas tree blessings, Epiphany blessing and more…
PRAY-STUDY-ACT DURING ADVENT
Each week, we’ll be crafting a special Pray-Study-Act e-bulletin (PSA) with resources for us all to use and to act on in common.
- PSA e-bulletin for the First Week of Advent, Nov. 29-Dec. 5
- PSA for the 40th Anniversary of the 4 U.S. Churchwomen in El Salvador, Dec. 2
- PSA e-bulletin for the Second Week of Advent, Dec. 6-12
- PSA for Human Rights Day, Dec. 10
- PSA e-bulletin for the Third Week of Advent, Dec. 13-19
- PSA e-bulletin for the Fourth Week of Advent, Dec, 20-24
COMMUNITY ADVENT GATHERINGS (VIRTUAL)
- Pax Christi USA Community Weekly Advent Service, Mondays, 8:30-9pm ET, on Nov. 30 (program here), Dec. 7 (program here), 14 (program here), and 21 (program here), join with members of the Pax Christi USA family from around the nation for a short prayer service with short readings from our Advent-Christmas reflection booklet, the lighting of the Advent candles, and more. Click here to register.
- Prepare the Way for a Nonviolent Revolution, an Advent retreat over Zoom with Fr. Bob Cushing, Dec. 4-6
- Our Advent Journey of Nonviolence, a Zoom course over 3 Sundays beginning Dec. 6 with Fr. John Dear, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace
- An International Christmas Retreat on Gospel Nonviolence, from Pax Christi International’s Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, Dec 18th
Please read Sr. Dianna Ortiz’s special appeal for donations to Pax Christi USA during this Advent season. This pandemic year has been particularly difficult in so many ways, including financially, on individuals and organizations like ours. If you have the means, you can click here to make a special gift to the Advent-Christmas appeal. Thank you!
- Pax Christi USA’s 2020 Advent-Christmas Reflection Booklet, I Say to You, WATCH! Reflections for Advent & Christmas 2020, by Martha Hennessy, Vickie Machado, Amy Finn-Schultz, Isaac Chandler and Michelle Sherman. (Available to download for your e-reader; print version is sold out.)
- Advent, Christmas & Epiphany Prayers and Rituals for Families, Small Groups from Pax Christi USA, includes Advent wreath rituals, Christmas tree blessings, Epiphany blessing and more…
- Advent study opportunity! Read Pax Christi USA Teacher of Peace Art Laffin’s new book, The Risk of the Cross, with your parish, book group or local Pax Christi group. Beginning in Advent, the Gospel of Mark will be used in the Church liturgical cycle, and Art’s book uses Mark’s gospel as a guide to “living gospel nonviolence in the nuclear age”.
- An Anti-War Toys Flyer from Pax Christi Metro New York to help gift-givers choose toys that align with peace and their conscience
- An Advent reflection, from Pax Christi Metro New York
- Keep Awake! A Call to Preach Palestine for the first Sunday of Advent from Friends of Sabeel
- Commemorate the 40th anniversary of Ita, Maura, Dorothy and Jean on Dec. 2
- A webinar from the Maryknoll Sisters commemorating the 4 U.S. Churchwomen, Dec. 2 at 7pm ET
- A webinar on the 40th anniversary of the martyrdom of the 4 U.S. Churchwomen in El Salvador, Dec. 2 at 4pm ET, from the Association of US Catholic Priests
- Virtual Prayer Vigils for those awaiting execution, Dec. 4, 10, and 11, with the Catholic Mobilizing Network
- Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case for a More Joyful Christmas, by Bill McKibben
- Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season, by Jo Robinson & Jean C. Staeheli