from Justice for Immigrants
Concerted, valiant efforts by the American people, elected leaders, and medical and health professionals nationwide have helped to slow the spread and mitigate the impact of COVID-19 in many places in the United States. Nonetheless, COVID-19 continues to devastate our nation’s health and economic well-being. The United States has the highest number of COVID-19 casualties and the U.S. economy is in a dire situation with millions unemployed. While thankfully Congress and the President have moved forward on legislation to help slow the spread and mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic in the United States, there are still many people who have been left out of safety and welfare. We must do more to ensure that no one is left behind and that everyone is safe. As Catholics, we are called to be a Church for all God’s children. We affirm the inherent dignity of every person and our duty as Christians to work for the common good of all God’s people during this pandemic, while paying particular attention to the most vulnerable.
For the next COVID-19 Relief Package, we urge Senators and Representatives to:
- Provide no-cost COVID-19 testing and treatment for all, including regardless of immigration status as this is a public safety issue;
- Automatically extend work authorization and visa renewal deadlines for refugees and immigrants who are providing economic and recovery assistance to our country;
- Ensure that many hardworking struggling immigrant and refugee populations are eligible for cash rebate payments;
- Halt the implementation of the new public charge rules;
- Protect asylum seekers and unaccompanied children (while assuring appropriate COVID-19 screening and treatment); and
- Appropriate $642 million in supplemental funding for the Office of Refugee Resettlement to care for vulnerable migrant populations.
Learn more about COVID-19 impact on refugees and immigrants on our JFI COVID-19 Resource Page.
TAKE ACTION! Please click here to send the following message to your U.S. Representative and Senators: