Pax Christi USA has endorsed the following call to action. What follows is the faith leaders’ statement supporting the call to action and the October 5th day of mobilization.
As faith leaders, we recognize every human being’s inherent self-worth and dignity. For centuries, throughout our faith traditions, we have followed our sacred texts that teach us love, respect, and dignity for all people.
The crisis of record deportations continues to separate families at alarming rates impacting our communities and our congregations in dire ways. Mothers are torn from their children, husbands taken from their wives. The time has come to stop these family separations. Indeed, it is long past time. The urgent need for immigration reform cannot be overstated. We need reform that prioritizes family unity, legalization and full citizenship for our undocumented sisters and brothers.
As denominations and faith-based organizations, we are calling on people of faith from all traditions to work together, to take action, and to join in the October 5th Mobilizations for Dignity and Respect.
“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. The stranger who sojourns with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself.” Leviticus 19:33
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free” Isaiah 58:6
Many faithful leaders have joined the 40 day Pray and Fasting Action for Immigration Reform taking place now until October 18th. On October 7th and 8th, more than 200 faith leaders from 45 states will fly to Washington, D.C. to advocate for immigration reform and join a mass mobilization on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol.
The time has come that we must escalate our actions in our commitment to guide the moral compass of our Congress and of our nation. We march for a country where families and children can dream of building lives of dignity without fear.
We invite you to participate in the October 5th Mobilization for Dignity and Respect in the following ways:
- Attend and invite your friends and congregation members to join you in local rallies and events in your city;
- Contact the organizers of the event in your area to make sure a local faith leader is speaking or praying at the action;
- Integrate immigration themes, including a call-to-action, into your weekly Sabbath services;
- Utilize the Bulletin Insert Already Designed for you to add your own local information at this Link- Bulletin Insert.
- Join Pray and Fasting for Immigration Reform and fast from sunrise to sundown on October 5th;
- Write a reflection, blog, opinion-editorial or letter to the editor leading up to October 5th about why you care about immigration reform and are raising your voice. Engage in social media activities, write a press release or hold a press conference in support of the mobilization for dignity and respect. More information at http://www.interfaithimmigration.org/october (contact Sidney Traynham at firstname.lastname@example.org for media support);
Sign up your congregation or organization to endorse for the October 5th mobilizations at this Link: Sign Up Form
One thought on “IMMIGRATION: Follow the call – Mobilize on October 5th for dignity and respect”
Reblogged this on FSJPIC.