One of the highlights of Pax Christi USA’s 2022 National Conference will be a special intergenerational panel taking place on Saturday, August 6th. As we mark the 50 year history of our movement, members of the panel will be discussing in conversation with one another the arc of the work for peace within Catholic circles from Pacem in terris to Fratelli Tutti with special attention on Pax Christi USA’s challenges and contributions.
The panelists include:*
- Cathy Crayton, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace, one of the founders of the Pax Christi Anti-Racism Team and long-time member of Pax Christi Southern California
- Shannen Dee Williams, Ph.D., historian and author of Subversive Habits: Black Catholic Nuns in the Long African American Freedom Struggle, co-author of Pax Christi USA’s 2014 Advent reflection booklet
- Megan McKenna, Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace, author, story-teller and theologian
- Christina Leaño, associate director of the Laudato Si’ Network, meditation teacher, retreat leader, & faith-based climate activist; former Pax Christi USA Young Adult Forum member
- Sr. Annie Killian, OP, Pax Christi Young Adult Caucus leadership team member
- Marie Dennis, Pax Christi USA Teacher of Peace, former co-president of Pax Christi International, author
In a moderated conversation by Pax Christi USA’s Program Director Roxana Bendezú, our panelists will also discuss the importance of an intersectional approach that makes explicit linkages between peacemaking, racism, consumerism, ecological justice, and LGBTQ inclusivity — as well as share their visions for Pax Christi USA and the Church around peacemaking for the next 50 years.
* We had hoped to have Sr. Mary Lou Kownacki, OSB and Bishop Thomas Gumbleton with us but neither will be traveling for health reasons at this time. Look for special video appearances by them at the conference.