Order one or more copies of the pastoral letter by clicking here, then take time to read, pray and reflect on this powerful pastoral letter on nuclear disarmament with other Pax Christi USA members and friends. Learn how to use the pastoral for outreach to Catholic leaders, parishes, and schools, and its value as a tool for organizing for nuclear abolition.
Pax Christi USA hosted a three-session virtual study circle over Zoom on Archbishop Wester’s pastoral letter to better understand the nuclear weapons threat and how we can individually and communally work for the total elimination of nuclear weapons. Each study group session included suggestions for outreach and action.
The study circles were facilitated by members of the Pax Christi USA Nuclear Disarmament Working Group and tied to our Bread Not Stones 2022 campaign. Participants were requested to read part of the pastoral letter in preparation for each session.
- Pastoral letter from Archbishop John C. Wester calling for nuclear disarmament
- A prayer for nuclear disarmament
- “Nuclear Weapons Are Illegal” banner
- Protect People and the Planet: Appeal for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World
- Don’t Bank on the Bomb, a campaign to provide information for disinvestment from nuclear weapons
- National Priorities Project, which provides information on the military budget as part of the federal budget.
- ICAN (International Coalition Against Nuclear Weapons), winner of the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize
- Invitation to sign nuclear ban treaty statement, offered by OREPA (Oak Ridge Environmental Peace Alliance) (Pax Christi USA has endorsed)
- Status of world nuclear forces 2021, Federation of American Scientists
- Statement on nuclear disarmament, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) Committee on International Justice and Peace, February 14, 2020
Pax Christi USA has partnered with the Archdiocese of Santa Fe to publish a print version of Archbishop John C. Wester’s pastoral letter on nuclear disarmament, Living in the Light of Christ’s Peace: A Conversation Toward Nuclear Disarmament.
Click here to order your copies today and share this valuable resource with your bishop, pastor, and others.
Archbishop Wester released his powerful and prophetic pastoral letter on the urgent need for nuclear disarmament and avoiding a new nuclear arms race in January 2022. Pope Francis has made clear statements about the immorality of possessing nuclear weapons, moving the Church from past conditional acceptance of “deterrence” to the moral imperative of abolition. Archbishop Wester invites “us to have a conversation together about what it means to follow the risen, nonviolent Jesus who calls us to be peacemakers, put down the sword, and love everyone, even the enemies of our nation.” (Archbishop Wester will be our opening keynote at the Pax Christi USA 2022 National Conference in August.)
Archbishop Wester’s pastoral letter has the support of four Nobel Peace Prize laureates. Beatrice Fihn, Executive Director of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) and the recipient of the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize states, “We welcome the leadership of Archbishop John Wester in taking His Holiness Pope Francis’ message of support for nuclear weapons abolition and the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons to the heart of the U.S. nuclear weapons enterprise in New Mexico. Archbishop Wester courageously joins the global community of religious leaders working to make the dream of a world free of nuclear weapons a reality.”
Booklets are available for $5.00 plus s/h. Discounts are available: 10% for 10-99 copies; 30% for 100+ copies.
Use this 52-page full-color booklet for individual or group study. Comes with study questions, suggested readings, and more.