- Click here to see the Pax Christi USA program and prayer service from Friday evening.
- Click here to see photos from Friday evening’s program.
- Click here to see photos from Saturday’s march and rally at Stewart Detention Center.
- Click here to see photos from Sunday’s funeral march and action at the gates of Ft. Benning.
- For complete coverage of the weekend’s activities, click here.
JUST CONFIRMED! The legendary Charlie King will be with us to share his stories in song as our musician for this event!
Each year, Pax Christi USA members and friends gather on Friday night prior to the annual School of the Americas Vigil and Action in Columbus, GA. Our program this year will include prayer, music, inspiring speakers and more. The program is open to the general public and all are invited to attend. Information on this year’s gathering is below.
Pax Christi USA at the SOA: Youth Empowerment – Surrendering Leadership in Social Movements to Youth and Young Adults
WHEN: Friday evening, November 20, 2015 from 6 to 7:45pm
WHERE: The Columbus Convention Center, Room 205, 801 Front Avenue, Columbus, Georgia (seating is limited, please arrive early to guarantee a seat)
WHAT: The prophet Isaiah says that when it comes to bringing about peace and reconciling differences “a little child shall lead them all”. But what happens when leadership is turned over to the young? In New Jersey, stuff got done. In 2010, when the clergy and the seasoned social justice advocates abandoned the effort to pass in-state tuition for undocumented students after ten years of trying, the students were left to continue the struggle on their own. In under four years, the NJ Dream Act was signed into law by Governor Christie. Hear the stories of some of the youth leaders who were a part of that effort and how the youth movement continues to be a vital part of bringing about social change in New Jersey and beyond.
- Yves Nibungco, Chairperson of Anakbayan USA, a comprehensive National Democratic mass organization of Filipino youth and students in the United States. He played an integral role in founding Kapit Bisig Kabataan Network, a national Filipino youth and student led relief network built in response to Super Typhoon Haiyan. Yves also organizes workers and migrants with the NJ based Filipino Immigrants and Workers Organizing Project. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nerissa Allegretti is a health worker, community organizer, and human rights activist. She is the Midwest Coordinator of the National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON), Founding Chairperson of the Fellowship for Filipino Migrants (FFM), and U.S. Coordinator of Movimento Laici Missionari Scalabriniani, a global organization of Roman Catholic lay missionaries in service of migrants and refugees.
- Kathy O’Leary, is the current coordinator for the New Jersey region of Pax Christi. She acts as the representative for Pax Christi New Jersey to local coalitions including the New Jersey Advocates for Immigrant Detainees and the New Jersey Prison Divestment Campaign. She is the former VP of the board of trustees for First Friends, a non-profit organization which coordinates volunteer visitation programs for immigrants in detention in New Jersey and provides resettlement services for asylum seekers who have recently been released from detention.
- Charlie King, musical storyteller and political satirist
On Friday evening at our event, we’ll have a special sales table set up with resources and sales items from Pax Christi USA, including Advent booklets, Christmas and holiday cards, PCUSA caps, prayer cards, and more!
Represent Pax Christi at the SOA! Remember to wear your Pax Christi t-shirts and buttons and to bring your Pax Christi banners.