As partners in the International Witness Campaign and the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, and alongside our friends at Witness Against Torture, many Pax Christi groups and members will be participating this week, especially on the anniversary on January 11th, in events marking the 20th anniversary of the efforts to close Guantanamo.
Click here for more information or to find a vigil near you or check out what is being posted and livestreamed.
We have also joined with the National Religious Campaign Against Torture and other faith organizations to issue a letter to President Biden and Members of Congress that begins:
“As members of the American faith community, we call on you to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and to ensure that all of the people held there are either released, agree to a plea deal, or receive a fair trial in a federal court...”
The letter will be released on January 11th.
If you are hosting a local action, send that info to email@example.com (subject line: Jan 11 Event in [your town]) and they’ll post it. You can also share photos during and after your event and they’ll be shared on WAT’s social media.
>> At the White House in Washington, D.C.
- What: Close Guantanamo Rally to Mark 20 Years
- Who: Local Witness Against Torture folks joined by local activists from other groups
- When: Tuesday January 11 noon to 1 pm ET (gather at 11:30)
- Where: If you live in the DC area, join us in front of the White House on Pennsylvania Ave. Bring your orange jumpsuit and hood; we’ll have more. Please be vaccinated and wear a mask. We’ll livestream the rally for those of you from away, and then stay online for the 2 pm virtual vigil listed below.
>> 20th Anniversary 2pm Virtual Rally
- What: Disrupt, Confront, and Close Guantánamo. This virtual rally is a call for all of us to disrupt and confront the status quo that has kept Guantánamo open and to imagine and chart a path toward finally ending and abolishing the prison and all that it represents.
- Who: WAT, CCR and others
- When: Tuesday, January 11, at 2 pm ET
>> National Religious Campaign Against Torture Webinar
- What: Guantanamo 20 Years on: A Religious Perspective
- Who: The Episcopal Church and National Religious Campaign Against Torture
- Speakers: Dr. Shaun Casey, Georgetown University; The Most Rev. Michael B. Curry, Presiding Bishop and Primate, Episcopal Church; Matt Hawthorne, NRCAT
- When: Tuesday, January 11, 3pm ET