In October 2008, Pax Christi USA launched a national initiative, “A New Moment for Nuclear Disarmament.” This initiative aims to strengthen our regional and local advocates’ (including bishops, heads of religious communities, university presidents, and other Catholic leaders) capacities and to engage our broad base of local groups and members in public awareness and mobilization efforts to influence the debate and policy formation on U.S. nuclear weapons.
- Hiroshima-Nagasaki 2011 Anniversary Events Around the U.S.
- PSA on Archbishop Chullikatt’s speech in Kansas City, MO, July 1, 2011
- A summary two-page hand-out on Chullikatt’s speech
- The Time Has Come to Take the First Step Back from the Brink: A Sign-on Statement on Nuclear De-alerting: April 29, 2011
- Statement on START ratification: September 5, 2010
- Statement on North Korea’s nuclear test: May 25, 2009
THE FORGOTTEN BOMB – NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD!
When the Cold War ended, worry about nuclear weapons also receded. But has the nuclear threat really receded as well? If the U.S. and Russia are no longer in an arms race, why are there nuclear weapons in both countries that are still on high alert?
Filmmaker Bud Ryan (co-coordinator of Pax Christi New Mexico) sets out to discover what possible explanations there could be as to why the posture of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) still exists, and how the nuclear powers might free the world from this threat once and for all.
The Forgotten Bomb examines the political and legal implications of nuclear weapons, but also digs deeper, into the cultural and psychological reasons behind the arsenal’s existence. Bud Ryan’s quest takes us from the homes of hibakusha (A-bomb survivors) in Japan, to an abandoned uranium mine in New Mexico, to an underground Titan missile silo in Arizona. From these places, and many others, Ryan puts together the pieces of a puzzle that explain why we have the bomb, and how we might finally do away with it. Through interviews with atomic scientists, politicians, authors, statesmen, and atomic bomb survivors, The Forgotten Bomb examines what The Bomb means to us all, and why we need to think about it again, now, even though the Cold War is long over.
- October-November 2008 newsletter launching “A New Moment for Nuclear Disarmament” initiative
- April-May 2010 newsletter with special focus on nuclear weapons
- Scroll through our email network archives for action alerts and Prayer-Study-Action e-bulletins on nuclear disarmament
- NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD! Bud Ryan’s new documentary, The Forgotten Bomb